December 24, 2009

Eggplant Parmesan

We eat a tonne of vegetables and I'm always looking to try new things so when we are at the grocery store the other day, I picked up an eggplant. This is usually the kind of item I would pick up and would rot in the back of our fridge for a few months because I had no idea what to do with it, but on Sunday night, I had a revelation and I whipped up some eggplant parmesan.

I had never cooked an eggplant before so I turned to trusty http://www.allrecipes.com/ to learn how to make a veggie parmesan. It took longer than I thought, but it tasted pretty good and I think this is a new weeknight dish for us.

Ingredients (makes four servings)
  • 1 medium eggplant
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs (I added dried basil and oregano to mine)
  • spaghetti sauce
  • mozzerella cheese
**you may note that there is no parmesan in my parmesan, I didn't have any on hand and it turned out ok

Directions


  1. Cut off top and bottom of eggplant and peel (I just used a knife and cut off the peel)



2. Slice your eggplant into rounds (we did about a 1/4 inch, but next time I would probably do a little thicker)

3. Sweat your eggplant for about 15 minutes. I read different feedback about why you do this -- one said it's because there's so much water in eggplant, while another said you do it to release the bitter oils in it. Either way, I did it by pouring salt all over the eggplant. Within minutes, oils start to release and then you rinse it off and pat it dry.



4. Dip each piece of eggplant in egg then in the bread crumbs. Put onto cookie sheet
5. Bake your eggplant for 10 minutes on each side at 350 degrees


6. Pour spaghetti sauce over large pan, then put your eggplant in in a single layer, cover with more sauce and finally with mozzerella cheese




7. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes







    1 comment:

    1. I'm sad that I wasn't invited to this dinner. Even though i'm sure i'm allergic to eggplant, i would have been happy to try one bite.
      xx
      erin
      ps- thanks for dinner tonight. Best leftovers I've ever ever had!

      ReplyDelete

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails
    Web Analytics