February 21, 2010

Lemon Bars


I think I'm on a citrus kick. Last week, key lime pie. This week, lemon bars.

These were pretty simple to make and a nice light sweet after another delicious strata for a family brunch this morning.

Ingredients

Crust

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup cold butter
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • pinch of salt
Custard
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • rind of one lemon, grated
  • juice of one lemon, about 3 tbsp
  • 2 eggs beaten
  • 2 tbsp icing sugar for decoration

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees and ensure you have a 9x9 pan (trust me)
  • cut butter into cubes and using a pastry kneader, cut it into the flour and sugar. You want this to be about the consistency of cornmeal

  • Press this into an ungreased pan and bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes

  • While the crust is baking, prepare the custard by mixing all the ingredients together







  • Pour over crust and bake for another 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees now -- make sure it doesn't brown
  • Once fully cooled, sift icing sugar over 

I baked this in a 9x13 pan (I one-and-a-halfed the recipe) and it was so delicious that between six of us, we polished off the whole pan at lunch! So quick that I didn't even get a pic of it cut, but trust me, they were great!








No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Web Analytics