We grocery shop on Thursdays so by Wednesday, we're pretty much out of food. I'm desperate to learn how to menu plan (any tips out there?), but I'm thrilled if I can scrounge something up for dinner on Wednesday.
Enter: salmon cakes.
My dad makes these and they're simple to make and use ingredients that I always have on hand. I was able to whip these up and still have something healthy for dinner.
- 1 potato (fairly large or two small)
- 1 tin of salmon, drained well and cleaned
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 7-8 shakes of Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil potato while cleaning the salmon and sauteing the onion and green onions
- Lightly mash the potato and add it to the salmon and sauted onion and green onions in a bowl
- Add egg and all other ingredients
- Mix ingredients and divide the mixture into six
- Shape into six patties and place them on a plate
- Cover and chill in fridge for 30 minutes
- In a skillet containing melted butter, sear the four patties for three or four minutes on each side, until lightly browned
- Put the patties on a cookie sheet and place in oven and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes
- Serve with lemon wedge or roasted garlic mayonnaise