September 16, 2010

Baked Steak Burritos


When we were in San Diego last year on our honeymoon, I had the most amazing steak burrito in this little Mexican restaurant. I think that burrito was the sole reason I so fondly look back at our time in San Diego. That and kayaking with leopard sharks; that was pretty cool. 


But I digress. Back to the burrito. To start, it was massive -- in fact the waiter kindly called it a "gut buster." It was baked to perfection and when I cut into it, mounds of steak and delicious sauce poured out. I rarely remember meals but I have been pining for another steak burrito for months. 


Apparently I loved it so much, I took a picture:


San Diego burrito


I couldn't find a recipe that met what I was looking for so I took a leap of faith and created my own. It wasn't exactly the same, but a pretty good burrito all around. This may join our regular meal rotation!


Ingredients

  • 1/2 pound of stir fry steak strips
  • 1 small red pepper, julienned
  • 1 small yellow pepper, julienned 
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 tbsp taco seasoning (more if you like spicier)
  • 2 tbsp cream
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese
  • 4 large tortilla shells, warmed
  • salsa, sour cream and/or guacamole to serve

Directions

  • In a frying pan, saute the onion and add the beef
  • Once beef is mostly cooked, add the red and yellow peppers, cook for a couple of minutes
  • Add the taco seasoning and water, stir in and let simmer for a few minutes
  • Add cream to make a sauce
  • Spoon mixture evenly over tortillas in a line down the middle of the tortilla and top with shredded cheese
  • Roll tortilla long side first, then tuck in ends and roll
  • Place seam side down on cookie sheet and bake in oven preheated to 350 degrees, for about 20-25 minutes, until tortilla is brown and golden
  • Serve with salsa, sour cream and guacamole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Web Analytics