October 26, 2010

Pork Tenderloin with Apple Crust




We have a freezer stocked full of meat. I buy it at the grocery store when it's on sale, it immediately goes in the freezer and then it is forgotten about until the next week when I add to the stash and inevitably say "OH! I forgot I had that chicken!" It's a vicious cycle.

So last week, T. took out some pork out of the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge. Two days later when I was looking for something to make, I had this lovely, thawed pork tenderloin to dress up.

We don't eat a lot of pork, but I know that it pairs well with apples. I had a recipe in my file that I had made a note to adapt and the apple crust was born.

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds of pork tenderloin (where I bought it, two pieces came together)
  • 2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs (or you could add your own seasoning to plain ones)
  • 2 apples peeled and minced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 cup of olive oil

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  • Mix bread crumbs, garlic and apple in a bowl. Slowly add olive oil to reach consistency that would be moist enough to stick to the meet when pressed.
  • Place pork in shallow baking pan and press the crumb mixture onto all sides until pink is no longer showing, usally 1/4 inch thick.
  • Bake for at least 35 minutes until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F, or until there is no pink when the pork is cut.
  • If crust still isn't as crispy as you'd like, leave it under the broiler for five more minutes.
  • Let pork rest for 10 minutes covered in tin foil before cutting into 1/2 inch slices.
Recipe adapted from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-and-Elegant-Pork-Tenderloin/Detail.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Web Analytics