December 2, 2010

Homemade Chicken Stock



After I made a roast chicken last week, and savagely pulled all the meat from the body, I was left with nothing but a pile of bones. Or was I? This seemed like the perfect opportunity to make my own chicken stock.



To buy the same amount of stock that I made (about four cups) would have cost me nearly $5 in the store. But here, I bought the whole chicken for $6 and practically got this delicious, low sodium stock for free!


Now, take note that while this is super easy, it does take time on your stove. I left my on for over three hours, but let me tell you, it was worth it. Because it was just simmering, I didn't need to be near it, but just aware of it on the element. 


Ingredients
  • chicken carcass (some chicken can be left on the bones)
  • 1 onion, cut in half
  • 2 carrots, peeled and cut in thirds
  • 2 celery stalks, leaves on and cut in thirds
  • salt and pepper
  • water
Directions
  • Put the carcass, onion, celery and carrots in a large stock pot.
  • Generously season with salt and pepper.
  • Add enough water to cover the carcass.
  • Bring to a boil and then turn down to a slow simmer. Put the lid on the pot and simmer for 3-4 hours.
  • Using a slotted spoon, remove the bones and aromatics. Pour the rest of the stock through a strainer to remove all the bits.
  • Pour stock into a container and refrigerate or use immediately.

2 comments:

  1. I want to make chicken stock. You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will to try for stock my chicken. Thanks for your sharing.

    farida
    http://www.kitchensuperfood.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Web Analytics