I am always looking for easy weeknight meals to make. So, this past weekend, I culled the "weeknight meals" section of all my old Real Simple magazines and ripped out this goody. We had lots of salmon in the freezer from a large piece we got at Costco and the cut into fillets, and I had basically every other ingredient in the house with the exception of the rice vinegar. I love when things come together easily!
This was a very simple salmon dish -- simply pan frying the salmon and topping it with a flavourful vinaigrette. Fast, easy and healthy. You could even make it faster if you had a few extra minutes earlier in the day, you could make the vinaigrette in advance.
Salmon with Shallot Vinaigrette
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 4 tbsp plus one tsp olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless salmon fillet, cut into four pieces
- In a small bowl, combine the shallots, vinegar, dill, 4 tbsp of olive oil and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat one teaspoon olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Season the salmon with salt and pepper. Cook in pan until opaque throughout, 3-5 minute per side.
- Serve salmon with the vinaigrette on top.
Recipe from Real Simple magazine, September 2009